In Indonesia, we are lucky to have easy access to get clean water just by turning on the tap. We wake up in the morning, take a shower, brush our teeth, grab a cup of coffee and head out for the day. Water also plays a big role in our local communities. Without water there would be no local business or industry. Fire fighting, municipal parks, and public swimming pools all need lots of water. An array of pipes, canals, and pumping stations managed by our public water systems are needed to bring a reliable supply of water to our taps each day.
Where does all this water come from? It starts out as rain or snow and flows into our local lakes, rivers and streams or into underground aquifers. You can learn more about water in many sources, including how it is being protected and where drinking water comes from. As we all know, water is an important part of our daily lives and we use it for a wide variety of purposes, but do people really understand how much they use?..
In some places water become really precious thing for them, for example:
Africa faces huge challenges with multiple issues that adversely affect public health. One major challenge is the ability for both rural and urban Africans to access a clean water supply. There are limited sources of water available to provide clean drinking water to the entire population of Africa. Surface water sources are often highly polluted, and infrastructure to pipe water from fresh, clean sources to arid areas is too costly of an endeavor. Groundwater is the best resource to tap to provide clean water to the majority of areas in Africa, especially rural Africa, and groundwater has the benefit of being naturally protected from bacterial contamination and is a reliable source during droughts.
What do you think about that? It’s a really different condition with us. We use and spent water easily without thinking about how precious a drop of clean water in Africa. I personally think that we have to change our bad habit of water using. We can do simple acts in daily life to saving water, such as:
- Take shower shorter, shower about 5 minutes maximum
- Turn off tap while brushing teeth and shaving
- Don’t let water run while washing dishes, instead fill one sink with water and rinse with it.
- Place your plants in the spots where it can take in rain water. If soil is wet, you don’t need to water your plants. Also it is a good practice to collect water from your regular washing, rinsing and use it for your plants. If you have fish tank, this water is particularly useful for your plants, do not drain it away. Do not over water your plants
- Reduce utensil and Jeans usage, you can wear that Jeans twice or thrice before it needs cleaning. Drink from a bottle instead of a new glass every time.
So simple, isn’t it? Do those acts right now to show your awareness for people who can’t obtain clean water for their daily life. When you save water, you are saving earth. When you save water, you are saving energy and also your own money. This planet needs your awareness. I believe that small act can make a huge difference.
Good Luck! Do your best for the better future